[Athen] question about PDF OCR

Nettie Fischer nettiet at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:19:32 PDT 2009

Hi Norm,

I just did a little exploration and think this might help you in your quest.

I opened TextAloud software
Opened a pdf file from my hard drive use the Open pull-down menu in
TextAloud

The file appeared in the window

Copied text (Ctrl-C)
Opened a word document

Pasted the copied text into the document.

Voila, I had a text file.

Nettie

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Prof Norm Coombs <norm.coombs at gmail.com>wrote:

> I know there is software that will take a PDF document and give me a

> different file type. My specific question however is this.

> Occasionally I come across a PDF document that is image only. Is there

> simple software without my purchasing Acrobat or such complex applications

> that will take a PDF image file, run OCR on it and extract the text either

> as a txt file or Doc format?

> I don't want to buy or learn some complex application?

> Norm

> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

> Norman Coombs norm.coombs at gmail.com

> CEO EASI Equal Access to Software and Information

> phone (949) 855-4852 (NOTE pacific time zone)

> ****READ ABOUT THE DICK BANKS MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP:

> http://easi.cc/scholarship.htm

Nettie T. Fischer, ATP
Assistive Technology Practitioner