[Athen] Open Office

Pratik Patel pratikp1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:03:28 PDT 2009

Hello all,

We have to keep in mind that MS Office Word has been heavily scripted by
both Freedomscientific and GW Micro by using the object model exposed by
Word. No work of that kind has been done for Open Office. There are some
significant issues when it comes to Java through the Access bridge. The
Window-Eyes solution is slightly better but not a lot. I've had far more
luck running Open Office on the Mac with Voice Over than under Windows. I
find Open Office on the Mac quite slow for some reason.

I've not tested this but have recently heard some excellent reviews of Star
Office with Orca. If I get a chance to test this, I'll report back.

Regards,

Pratik