[Athen] speech recognition

Roll,Marla mcroll at CAHS.Colostate.edu
Tue Mar 3 09:18:44 PST 2009

Hello Eileen,

I did have a student with CP in the past that used Dragon fairly successfully. If the user is consistent in their speech errors, Dragon can learn and adapt... I found that the intelligibility was not as big of an issue as I thought it might be. However, the user was highly motivated to use the product and was willing to take a large amount of extra time in training to improve its recognition of his speech patterns.

Hope that helps,

Marla

Marla C. Roll, MS, OTR
Director, Assistive Technology Resource Center
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Occupational Therapy
304 Occupational Therapy Building
Colorado State University
Fort Collins, CO  80523 - 1586
970-491-2016
970-491-6290 (fax)
mcroll at cahs.colostate.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: athen-bounces at athenpro.org [mailto:athen-bounces at athenpro.org] On Behalf Of eileen berger
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 3:05 PM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: Re: [Athen] speech recogniotion

Hi,
I am working with a student with Cerebral Palsy whose speech is discreet
and generally clear but slow and sometimes intelligibility is an issue.
Does dragon or any other speech recognition software hold any promise for
use for this student? We currently have version 9.
Typing is not an option for him.
Thanks for any assistance!
Eileen

--On March 2, 2009 1:37:46 PM -0800 "Ogami, Sam" <sogami at calstate.edu>
wrote:

> Title: VPAT database - A System for Sharing Accessibility Information

> About Products. Date: March 21, 2009

> Time: 8:00 AM

> Location: Marriott - Chicago

> Title: DAISY in Higher Education

> Speakers: Gaeir Dietrich, Jayme Johnson, Sam Ogami

> Date: Friday, March 20, 2009

> Start Time: 9:20 AM

> End Time: 10:20 AM

> Location: Marriott - Meridian One DAISY/EASY

> Sam Ogami

> Accessible Technology Expert

> CSU Office of the Chancellor

> (562) 951-4201 voice

> (562) 951-4925 fax

> sogami at calstate.edu

> On 2/26/09 11:56 AM, "Sean Keegan" <skeegan at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,

> If you are an ATHEN member and will be presenting at CSUN, we would like

> to identify your session information on the ATHEN Website. Please send

> me the following information and I will get this up on the ATHEN site.

> Session Name

> Date

> Time, Location

> Your Name and Affiliation

> I am looking forward to hearing from those ATHEN members who will be

> presenting at the CSUN 2009 Conference.

> Take care,

> Sean

Eileen Connell Berger
Assistant Director
Office of Student Affairs,
Access and Disability Services Administrator
Harvard University
Graduate School of Education
Larsen Hall G05
14 Appian Way,
Cambridge, Ma. 02138
phone: 617 495 5838
fax: 617 496 8024
bergerei at gse.harvard.edu

This message is intended for the designated recipient(s). It may contain
confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to
confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may
not review copy or distribute this message. If you receive this in error,
please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.