[Athen] Internet Explorer 8

Crabb, Nolan Crabb.15 at osu.edu
Mon May 4 09:07:53 PDT 2009

I've been using it for several weeks now, and there's no ribbon
associated with it. It works better with JAWS 10 than it does with
Window-Eyes, but I suspect that's more of a Window-Eyes issue; rumor has
it GW Micro is improving its Browse Mode implementation for its newest
release of Window-Eyes, and that should fix most of the problems I'm
having with IE 8. Those problems include the fact that pages don't
always load properly without a screen redraw and browse mode doesn't
always work automatically when loading pages.

I've not looked at it with ZoomText, but it seems to work well with JAWS
10, and I love the accelerators feature. I have a pretty consistent
need to create Tiny URLs, and one of the accelerators does that rather
nicely. I'm not sure that the web slices feature is all that viable for
a screen reader, but that may just be because I haven't figured out how
to use them. The colored tab grouping isn't all that exciting to me
personally, but it may help others.

Note that I'm using IE 8 under XP and Vista with no real problems other
than those mentioned above when working in Window-Eyes.

Regards,

Nolan

Nolan Crabb
Director of Assistive Technology
The Ohio State University
2054 Drake Center, 1849 Cannon Dr., Columbus, OH 43210

Ph. (614) 735-8688
E-mail: crabb.15 at osu.edu