[Athen] Mac alt format tools

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Wed May 6 10:55:14 PDT 2009

Thanks Sam this is helpful

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: athen-bounces at athenpro.org [mailto:athen-bounces at athenpro.org] On
Behalf Of Ogami, Sam
Sent: Wednesday, May 06, 2009 1:52 PM
To: Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: Re: [Athen] Mac alt format tools

Hello Ron,

I have been spoiled by having VMware on my computer so that if I need to
create anything AT related I use Windows. All of the AT software that I
have run on VMware image works. (Duxbury, OmniPage, JAWS 10, TextAloud,
K3000, EasyReader).

TSS Applications:
If you want a free tts application that can also save out to aiff the
SpeechSyenthExample application in xcode is a functional tool.
It is located at /Developer/Examples/Speech/Synthesis/SpeechSynthesisExample
Converting aiff to mp3 can be accomplished with itunes.

Ghost Reader anthor tts application (not tested)
http://www.convenienceware.com/ghostreader.php

Kurzweil 3000 for Macintosh (not used an a
http://www.kurzweiledu.com/kurz3000macV4.aspx

DAISY Software:
DAISY pipeline for the mac works well. http://daisymfc.sourceforge.net/
Emerson Reader is a free Epub and DAISY reader but is still being worked on:
http://code.google.com/p/emerson-reader/
Olearia is another free DAISY playback software that is still in beta but
works on some DAISY books: http://www.cucat.org/projects/olearia/
Victor Reader Soft for the Mac DAISY player (have not tested this
application) https://custhub.rfbd.org/SearchPlaybackDevices.asp

Speech to text
MacSpeech - http://www.macspeech.com/

Apple list of AT Software