[Athen] Metrics to quantify value of AT and Accessibility

Paul Harpur p.harpur at qut.edu.au
Mon May 18 15:56:02 PDT 2009

Gday Mary

If you want to calculate the value why not run a survey of students and ask how much time is being saved by having your services?

If you want to calculate the cost of providing the service perhaps you could calculate how much each staff member costs in 6 minute units and say if a student consultation takes 30 minutes then you can calculate the cost for the university. I suggest 6 minute units as that is what is used in law and accounting.

Don't forget the corporate social responsibility/public relations issues if a university falls below the ADA standard.

Regarding getting information about the potential legal costs of defending an ADA claim perhaps you could contact the NFB. Their Dan Goldstein is a fantastic advocate for the blind and he may have information on the defendant's costs in claims such as National Federation of the Blind v. Target.
Cheers,

Paul.