[Athen] Question About Dyscalculia From Wyoming

Wink Harner wink.harner at mcmail.maricopa.edu
Fri Oct 23 10:37:12 PDT 2009

Patrick:

Math Talk with Scientific Notebook is one of the essential keys to
accommodating this disability.

Works with Dragon Naturally Speaking. It is EXTREMELY easy to learn to
use, especially with DNS 10 and the 'no training' required. Two
vocabularies are necessary for math: the military alphabet and the greek
alphabet. I produced laminated 2-sided cards for our adaptive lab so
students would not have to memorize the alphabets.

Dyscalculia, in a nutshell, operates the same way in which dyslexia does
--instead of letters or words being reversed while reading, the numbers,
columns and/or functions are reversed when writing it down. Students are
successful in being able to read & understand the problems but cannot
write them straight.

Also helpful is graphing paper for homework --helps with keeping things
in columns.

A talking calculator may or may not be helpful...the part of this
disability is not based in reading the information incorrectly; it's in
not being able to write/recognize that it's not written or copied correctly.

Would be happy to help more if you need.

Wink