[Athen] Dealing with Williams Sound transmitter/receiver

Drew Britten dbritten at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 18 16:13:21 PDT 2009


We have had similar corrosion problems with Williams sound equipment. Our solution has been to remove the batteries whenever the equipment is being stored in our office, and being used.

Drew Britten, MSRE
Assistive Technology/ Alternative Media Program Manager
Disability Resources for Students
University of Washington
448 Schmitz
Box 355839
Seattle, WA 98195-5839
(206) 543-8924 voice
(206) 543-8925 TTY
(206) 616-8379 fax
dbritten at u.washington.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: athen-bounces at athenpro.org [mailto:athen-bounces at athenpro.org] On Behalf Of Sean J Keegan
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 11:10 AM
To: Alternate Media; Access Technology Higher Education Network
Subject: Re: [Athen] Dealing with Williams Sound transmitter/receiver

Thank you all for your replies. I took another look this morning as the system was working several months ago and these systems don't usually "just stop" functioning.

I opened the battery case of the receiver (yes, I used new batteries the first time around <grin>) and noticed that there was just a bit of corrosion on the terminals; it looks like a battery leaked a bit. I scraped off the corrosion and cleaned out the case and the system is now working...for now. It looks like the receiver had enough power to do basic amplification from the environmental mic jack, but not enough to power the receiver.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Take care,

More information about the athen-list mailing list