[Athen] Question about Save As DAISY

Pielaet, Jon jon.pielaet at mso.umt.edu
Thu Apr 1 13:56:59 PDT 2010

Sean,

I haven't used the TTS Narrator functionality in the Save As
DAISY plug-in extensively, but I can tell you that the plug-in suffers
from some memory leaks. Generating a 175 page DTBook XML file should
only take a minute or two. In one of my latest exports the plug-in was
still stuck at 100% complete after more than 24 hours.

After rebooting and clearing my RAM, the export took only a few
minutes. If you find that your CPU usage isn't changing for a few
minutes, I would suggest trying your export after a reboot.

Creating TTS speech for your DAISY book will take a long time.
2.5 hours seems about right for a 400 page book considering that the
playback time can be much longer than that.

How are the DAISY books being read? Do you really need the PC to
generate the speech in advance? Could you use the DAISY pipeline to
create text-only filesets from your DTBook XML instead of embedding the
speech?

Good Luck,

Jon

Jon P. Pielaet
Program Assistant for Instructional Materials
Disability Services for Students
Emma B. Lommasson 154
The University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812