[Athen] Daisy Player that can take a beating

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Wed Apr 28 20:10:32 PDT 2010

I have been playing with the PlexTalk PTN1 and I actually like its feature
set over the Stream. Both are very durable and have a small wrist strap
loop that could be used to tether them down as well though I would worry
about the strength of the security. For most users the Booksense is
overkill as a DAISY reader and not something that I see checking out on a
regular basis since it is really a mini-PC and overkill for the average
campus use. Odds on favorite for CD based players is the Victor Classic X+
for durability and the ability to leash it. As many have heard Gaeir and I
say, " it passed the drop test, and even the throw across the room test".

I must stay though in my visit to the RFBD and Humanware websites that
finding these players was almost impossible. Not a good sign for long term
continuation of the product. I am used to the lack of user functionality on
the HumanWare site but to find the "new" RFB&D site totally almost totally
unusable for access to the good pragmatic solutions that I have looked for
in the past really was a bummer on a very long day.

Ron