[Athen] Sony and ePub and Daisy

Hausler,Jesse jhausler at cahs.colostate.edu
Mon Feb 8 13:12:05 PST 2010

Hey Guys,

I am doing research into book readers for students with learning disabilities. I've searched this listserv and a few others, but am still somewhat confused about ePub and Daisy. From what I understand, ePub is a umbrella standard that consists of several e-book specifications. According to the "all knowing" Wikipedia:

"EPUB internally uses XHTML or DTBook (an XML standard provided by the DAISY Consortium) to represent the text and structure of the content document, and a subset of CSS to provide layout and formatting."

If this is the case, why have I read in so many places (including the listserv) that the Sony reader will not play DAISY? Assuming there is no DRM (from RFB&D or otherwise), will the Sony Reader play a DAISY book?

Thanks,
Jesse Hausler
Colorado State University