[Athen] Average Book Volumes

Pielaet, Jon jon.pielaet at mso.umt.edu
Tue Feb 16 12:50:07 PST 2010

Ron,

The file sizes are fairly consistent across different book projects.

A book that is about 300 pages yields these file sizes:

16-bit Grayscale TIFF with Metadata 2.58 GB

Rich Text File 1.42 MB*

Word 2003 XML 2.51MB*

DAISY 3 Fileset 1.23MB*

* File sizes include added markup.

The average delivered file size is around 1-2 MB in RTF or DAISY.

Larger books make larger files but even if we process a book that is
three times that size the resulting DAISY fileset should only be about
four or five megabytes.

As far as storage, our approach is a simple one. "Get as much as you
can." We have two terabytes dedicated to storing TIFF and working data
but we aren't using all of it by any measure.

Let me know if you have specific any questions,

Jon

Jon P. Pielaet

Program Assistant for Instructional Materials

Disability Services for Students

Emma B. Lommasson 154

The University of Montana

Missoula, MT 59812