[Athen] More on DRM for Apple iPad ebooks

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 16 21:22:38 PST 2010

The DRM that Adobe uses to encrypt ePub books served through their Adobe
Digital Editions (via Content Server) can be cracked using a couple of easy
to find Python scripts. Someone will find (probably already has found) a way
to crack the FairPlay DRM Apple uses in iTunes (though it does sound more
complex than Content Server). Then, with a little bit of effort, any
motivated person will be able to permanently "open" a DRM'ed ePub book. Once
he has the opened ePub he can use it on any platform/device he chooses, and
it is up to him to decide if he wants to break the law and give it or sell
it to someone else.

I appreciate O'Reilly's stance. They know that the more restrictive you make
the DRM on a book you sell, the more roadblocks to usage the rightful owner
will encounter in using the book--limits on how many personal copies he can
make of something he legally purchased, limits on which of his own devices
he can use to read/listen to them.

O'Reilly seem to implicitly trust that people will tend to do the ethical
thing and buy a book, rather than steal it. And they seem to believe that
the tendency once you buy something is not to give it away for free.

Apple (and most major book publishers), on the other hand, want to keep the
user using iTunes for everything, and seem not to trust that someone who
pays for a book will respect copyright. I find that attitude insulting and
infantilizing--and if I were interested in pirating books, the insult and
infantilization would provide strong motivation.

ken