[Athen] More on DRM for Apple iPad ebooks

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Tue Feb 16 23:06:07 PST 2010

> Someone will find (probably already has found) a way to crack the

> FairPlay DRM Apple uses in iTunes...

Yes, in fact it was done a few years ago by "DVD Jon" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Lech_Johansen
) who is world famous for reverse engineering just about every DRM out
there, from DVDs to iTunes. He and others have even created a company
around the anti-DRM philosophy, doubleTwist:
http://www.doubletwist.com/dt/Home/Index.dt

> --and if I were interested in pirating books, the insult and

> infantilization would provide strong motivation.

As a good friend once told me, "Locks are to keep honest people
honest". If a person is intent on pirating music, software, or books,
they're probably going to find a way around any restriction regardless
of the DRM used. The main purpose of a DRM "lock", in my opinion, is
just to thwart any fleeting temptation by the other 99+ percent of
users.

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant