[Athen] ReadSpeaker - Your website speech enabled

Nettie Fischer nettiet at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 10:40:38 PST 2010

Hi - I am not sure if we are talking about the same product but, I have
ReadSpeaker Sayit on my little website for 3 years and it requires not
maintenance and very easy to use. I am NOT a webmaster by any means and the
support they provided allowed me to add it to the pages on my website. The
only problem that I ran into was when VISTA entered the picture. The little
icon that cued people to click on the "SayIt" button was gone and I do not
know how to get it back. <smile, well I said I wasn't a webmaster :} >

I am not too sure if my ReadSpeakerSayit is the same program, but if it is
and/or it works on the same principal, I think you will find that it is a
nice tool for your students with various reading and/or visual challanges.
And, the nice part is, it is self-sufficient. I added the code to my
webpage template so when I add and/or modify a page, I change the page name
in the html code and it reads the text on the new page.

Nettie Fischer
www.nettietatpconsultants.com

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM, Alice Anderson <
alice.anderson at doit.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience or any thoughts about this vendor product? It's

> a service that provides automated audio versions of a Web page's content.

> Click the demo link below to see it in action?

> The sales people have approached our campus (main web site) - and I am

> being asked if I know of benefits, or others using etc.

> ReadSpeaker Sales email to campus:

>> From: Nicholas Croft <nicholas.croft at voice-corp.com>

>> Date: December 7, 2009 11:13:34 AM CST

>> To: <removed>

>> Subject: Your website speech enabled.

>> Thank you for taking the time to speak to me today.

>> As agreed I am sending you a demo version of your website now ReadSpeaker®

>> enabled so you can listen to the text by clicking on the button.

>> ReadSpeaker® makes your web content more accessible to people with

>> impaired vision, are dyslectic, low literacy, functionally illiterate, or

>> are still learning English.

>> Considering that at least 20% of the population struggle from some sort of

>> reading disability, a listening option goes a long way to accommodate them.

>> As well as students that would just prefer to listen to the content instead

>> of read it.

>> A small html code embedded in the website creates a icon which activates

>> a small player that reads your web content live "on the fly". Nothing is

>> recorded.

>> It’s a fantastic product that goes beyond the existing website

>> accessibility guidelines set by the W3C and Section 508 in the US, putting

>> your website at the leading edge of web accessibility and giving your

>> organization the potential to access more of the population that wouldn’t be

>> able to access your website’s content normally .

>> Your website now ReadSpeaker® enabled: University of Wisconsin–Madison

>> (Click here)

>> How it works:

>> · Our ReadSpeaker solution is hosted by us. Only a small html

>> code is installed into your website , there is zero maintenance ,

>> · Easy implementation, zero cost for changing content and “no”

>> hardware requirements! Updates are done automatically. Installation is

>> usually completed within 2 to 3 hours.

>> · Once the html code, that we send you, is embedded in your

>> website, a “listen” icon is available on your web page which activates the

>> reader.

>> · When activated, the web content of the written page is sent to

>> our servers, transformed to an audio file in mp3 format and is then sent

>> back to the visitor.

>> · What is especially unique about our ReadSpeaker is that the

>> visitors can listen without downloading any software to their computers.

>> · They can listen live or download the audio for later listening.

>> · We offer multi language support.

>> Here are some additional links of our clients:

>> United Press International http://www.upi.com (And select a story)

>> City of San Francisco

>> http://www.sfgov.org/site/countyclerk_index.asp?id=101171

> [...]

Nettie T. Fischer, ATP