[Athen] Caption file creation with Naturally Speaking or Mac Speech Dictate?

Todd Schwanke tschwanke at wisc.edu
Tue Jan 12 08:50:56 PST 2010

Good morning:

Is anyone aware of a software program or add-on that will allow a user of Naturally Speaking or MacSpeech Dictate to create a caption file (or at least a transcript with some sort of timing information) simultaneously as they dictate & make a recording of their audio/video? This would be in place of creating a transcript with the speech recognition and then doing post-dictation syncing to the audio/video.

Note: In asking this question I am putting the accuracy issue and need for editing aside given that speech recognition is not 100% accurate.

There are a number of program/services out there that do this, but I'm not aware of any that work directly with end user versions of Naturally Speaking or MacSpeech Dictate. Here are some of the others that I'm aware of
* I believe it is SoundBooth & Premier as part of Adobe CS4 that do this with their built-in speech recognition, though with much lower accuracy on the transcription
* There are a number of commercial services that use speech recognition to transcribe and then automated processes to sync and create the caption file
* Google just added computer based recognition/transcription & syncing.

Thanks,
Todd
UW-Madison