[Athen] Cantasia: close capturing capabilities

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Tue Jan 19 12:23:34 PST 2010

> Does anybody have any experience in creating close capturing

> in the creation of online videos using Cantasia?

For information about captioning with Camtasia, you can check out:
http://www.techsmith.com/learn/camtasia/6/edit/captions.asp

To actually do the captions, you will need to copy/paste the transcript into the "text region" on the left side of the interface. The text content is usually broken into three line captions (you can set the number of characters per line). My suggestion is to try and keep the caption lines to two or less. While Camtasia does allow for three lines, this can begin to take up a lot of the screen real-estate and restrict the actual viewing of the information. Just use a blank line as the "third" caption line when formatting the content in the "text region". For captions with only one line of text, you will then need to have two blank lines.

This can get a bit messy if you are trying to manage the formatting while also performing the time-stamping, so I would suggest doing the formatting in the "text region" first and then doing the time-stamping.

Also - captioning in Camtasia is done within the Camtasia application. At this time (unless something suddenly changed) you are not able to just import a "caption file" with all the time-stamping completed. You have to do it all from within the captioning application.

Take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology
Office of Accessible Education - Stanford University