[Athen] online learning

Ozi, Selim sozi1 at mscd.edu
Thu May 6 10:05:33 PDT 2010

Catalina,

Below I have outlined some issues Blackboard versus Jaws both running on earlier versions before Vista 9 and Jaws 11 !

At Metropolitan state college of Denver we are running Blackboard vista 9 for our distance learning system.

We had tested others as well and think blackboard is still the most compatible in accessibility.

The biggest challenge is to train faculty to create accessible course designs another one is some distant learners are still using jaws 5 or 6!

Blackboard has good accessible course design tools you can implement and train your faculty.

In house we constantly train faculty designing the class content.

Ø Java signature application acceptance is not screen reader accessible.

Ø Jaws version and blackboard vista version (certified-compatible) needs to be stated along with supported internet browser information.

Ø Known /Open blackboard vista 3-7 screen reader accessibility issues.

o Proper titling missing (navigation/orientation, headings/titling)

o Structural and orientation headings missing

o Navigation mechanism to navigation bars

o Redundant links for tool menu items

o Unnecessary Alt attribute for graphics such as text (alternative text.)

o Skip navigation not needed

o Alt attribute for graphical link is missing (navigation/ orientation form controls)

o Use of Change event makes the interaction inaccessible(scripting-keyboard)

o Excessive use of layout tables causes the linearization inaccessible.

o Test and assessment, answers are graphic jaws can't read.

Ø Supported java run time versions compatibility issues on personal computers.

Ø Online instructor needs to realize to create content with universal design, accessible.

Black board tool visual text box editor. Alt tags. Folders. Etc..

Ø Web pages should be the initial format when preparing materials for online viewing

Ø If content cannot be delivered as web page, provide options to access materials

o Course outline - MS word

o Course outline - text, accessible PDF.

Ø Content should use headings for navigation

Ø Includes descriptions for relevant images

Ø Provides descriptive Hyperlinks ( click here for the for the course outline)

Ø Includes transcripts for audio and captions for video content

Ø Accessible , outlined MS Power point presentations

Ø The addition of more features adds to the overall complexity of the interface

Ø Deeply threaded discussions can be challenging to interact and respond.

Selim Özi.
Access Center , Library Suite 116
Disability Accommodations And Adaptive Technology for
Metropolitan State College of Denver.
303-556-8387.

This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential information.
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.