[Athen] captioning for non-required course content

Gaeir Dietrich gdietrich at htctu.net
Tue Nov 2 15:52:16 PDT 2010

> "if a transcript / Closed Caption is not available for the audio does that

mean we should never offer it to students even if it is considered
supplemental material and not required material? Does that distinction
matter?"

This question is complex because the absolute answer depends on your state
laws. I do not know if New York has adopted any of the Section 508
Standards, and currently those Standards are the only federal ones that
require captioning in all cases (and Section 508 as written applies only to
the federal government). Captioning is not required under Section 504 or the
ADA unless it is requested as an accommodation.

The required vs. supplemental issues does matter in some states-and not in
others. Again, I'm not sure about New York.

The bigger overview, however, is to remember that in the case of captioning,
access (making sure everything is always captioned) and accommodation
(captioning upon request) work together. So, yes, you can use uncaptioned
materials and caption them upon request. You just need to make sure that you
are ready to caption quickly if it is required.

That being said, it is good to be as proactive as you can. Prioritize
captioning in classes that everyone has to take (English 1A or U.S. History,
for example) and in classes that you know deaf/HOH students will be taking.

Hope this helps.

Gaeir (rhymes with "fire") Dietrich
High Tech Center Training Unit of the
California Community Colleges