[Athen] Free Screen Readers

Ron Stewart ron at ahead.org
Tue Feb 15 07:31:03 PST 2011

It also seems that folks are mixing up text to audio software with screen
reader software. They are different kinds of animals and typically used for
different purposes for the most part. NVDA would be considered a
ScreenReader since it is intended to provide access to the GUI of the
computer for someone who has little or no ability to use the standard
presentation.

Text to audio software such as ReadPlease are text access software that
typically provide audio and basic things like highlighting to and individual
who has issues accessing standard text. Too often I have sees campuses
intend to serve the higher end needs for a screenreader with these lower end
products to bad results.

Ron Stewart