[Athen] Sharing Jaws and Zoomtext licenses Across Subnets?

Al Puzzuoli alpuzz at msu.edu
Mon Feb 21 10:40:38 PST 2011

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. My concern is that these machines are scattered across buildings, in different labs throughout campus. I am therefore worried about firewall and security issues, as well as preserving the integrity of our licenses. . For example in the case of Zoomtext, I wouldn’t mind exposing a shared folder to everyone in a small office setting; However doing so on a campus wide level makes the me with the IT hat cringe in terror.

Similar concerns with Jaws. If I were to just open the appropriate ports to the world, anyone who knew the right IP could set their machine to access the server. I guess there’s a lot of security to be had through obscurity, so the odds of that happening are rather small but still … Not sure how to do this without a lot of complicated firewall rules.
--Al