[Athen] CPU load and DAISY/MP3 generation

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 19 16:26:18 PST 2011

Hello all,

I am looking for information about how much CPU load can be expected
during full-text/full-audio DAISY generation as well as during MP3
creation. We are running a few tests on a 200 page MS Word document
with the Save As DAISY plugin, but I was curious as to what others may
be experiencing for CPU consumption as well as RAM requirements.

Your experiences do not have to conform to my test instance of a 200
page MS Word document with the Save As DAISY plugin, but I would like to
get some ideas as to what others are experiencing when creating either
DAISY or MP3 files. Qualitative feedback, such as "It took much longer
to open XYZ application when creating MP3 or DAISY files" is also useful.

If possible, please include the generic computer configuration you are
using (e.g., Windows 7, 4GB RAM, 2.8 Core i3, etc.) as well as the
software you are utilizing.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan, M.S.
Associate Director, Assistive Technology