[Athen] FW: Introducing Free Kindle Software with Accessibility Features

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 20 13:52:12 PST 2011

Hi Dan, Pratik and all,

I played with this yesterday for about an hour and will be doing more work
with it soon. I was using NVDA. Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin
works decently, but it has a number of quirks and impracticalities. I
imagine Amazon is well aware of them, but I'm going to write them and detail
the problems I found, anyway.

First, in reference Dan's email, you must type Ctrl + R to have a book read
aloud. Kindle will then read in a voice that is packaged with the Amazon
plugin, itself. You can switch between a male and female voice--it defaults
to the female--and easily speed up or slow down the reading (via Shift + +
or -). You can also browse by sentence with Ctrl + Shift + up or down arrow.

So, at least currently, you have no direct access to the text. The screen
reader (NVDA or JAWS) allows access to the menus, but the shipped TTS reads
the content, not your screen reader. You can read by sentence or
continuously. There does not seem to be any finer-grained navigation. For
instance, though you can get to a table of contents via the top level menu,
it's not possible to use it, because using the table of contents requires
clicking on a link in the table and this is not possible.

In fact, currently, it is not possible to get a cursor into the text of a
book, at all. This makes it impossible to select a portion of the text,
click a link, etc. You can, however, highlight all of the text on a page
(Ctrl + Shift + H). While this seems kind of silly, I believe they must have
done this in order to facilitate the creation of highlights that you can
then retrieve later via the notes and highlights panel. You can also set a
bookmark on a page. Where a bookmark contains only the location reference, a
highlight contains the location reference and the highlighted text. So,
theoretically, if not practically, you could skim through highlights and
hear snippets of each to help orient yourself without having to hit Ctrl + R
and read the page. In practice, though, I am having trouble understanding
why highlighting an entire page is at all desirable. More practical is the
Ctrl + Shift + N combination, which allows you to write a note for a page.
These notes appear in the notes and marks panel. Once written and saved,
though, you cannot edit or delete a note. You can set a bookmark from the
top level menu, but, again, I couldn't figure out a way to delete a bookmark
(or a highlight, for that manner).

I guess the take-away is the current Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin
provides access to a whole lot of books, and (we can hope) there will be
quick updates that make navigating, highlighting, and note-taking in these
books more practical.

Good first effort, Amazon. Keep up the good work!

ken
--
Ken Petri
Program Director, OSU Web Accessibility Center
http://wac.osu.edu | petri.1 at osu.edu