[Athen] iCommunicator

Heidi Scher hascherdss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 12:21:57 PDT 2011

Shannon,

When you ask if iCommunicator might be an option for the student - my first
thoughts are "What are you trying to accommodate?" and "What accommodations
has she used previously?"

If use of the ALD doesn't provide her with sufficient communication access
in the classroom, then educational transcription (TypeWell/CPrint/CART)
might be better alternative. Especially considering she is a graduate
student.

Does the student know and use ASL? Is her first language ASL? For classroom
access, the iCommunicator would need to be trained by each instructor in
order for it to be useful. (Think of Dragon Naturally Speaking and multiple
users.) Also, iCommunicator does NOT provide ASL. Is the student wanting
interpreting services? A remote interpreter would provide better
communication access than iCommunicator.

If you're considering it for 1-on-1 communication, the UbiDuo might be a
better alternative. We've had students who simply used WordPad on their
laptops (even Netbooks) for brief conversations.

Heidi

+++++++++++++++
Heidi Scher, M.S., CRC
Associate Director