[Athen] Please post

Herrera, Carlos M. CHerrera at qcc.cuny.edu
Wed Jun 22 10:33:02 PDT 2011

Dear Colleagues:

As the August 4th CUNY Accessibility Conference rapidly approaches, we'd like to remind those of you who haven't yet registered to please take a moment and visit our registration portal by clicking here<http://catsweb.cuny.edu/Events/CAC2011/CAC2011.html>. Seating is filling up rapidly and you don't want to miss the opportunity to hear the dynamic presenters we've lined up.

Among them will be:

Norman Coombs, Ph.D. , CEO of EASI (Equal Access to Software and Information) as well as professor emeritus from the Rochester Institute of Technology where he taught history for 36 years. Since retiring, he has moved to California and is the CEO for EASI.
Coombs pioneered RIT's distance learning program and was chosen as New York State CASE, (Council for the Advancement and Support of Education), "Teacher of the Year" award in 1990 for using computers in teaching. In 1998, he was selected Man of the Year Award by AHEAD, in 2000, he was the recipient of the Francis Joseph Campbell Award of the American Library Association for work in helping libraries to meet the needs of customers with disabilities and in 2007 received the Richard Johnson Pioneers in Educational Technology Award from the Western Cooperative on Educational Technology. Besides continuing to teach distance learning classes for RIT, he has taught at a distance for San Diego State University, the New School for Social Research, the University of Washington, the University of Southern Maine, for Environment Canada and for EASI, (Equal Access to Software and Information).

Dr. Coombs has lectured on distance learning and on making information systems accessible to students with disabilities across the US as well as in Canada, England, Ireland, Hungary, Mexico, Switzerland and Turkey. His publications include:
Information Access and Adaptive Technology which he co-authored with Carmela Cunningham, published in 1997 by Oryx Press
and Making Online Teaching Accessible, published by Jossey-Bass in 2010.

Along with Dr. Coombs, our other presenters promise to bring insights and relevant experience from the their work in the field of accessibility for student with disabilities. We'll be sending future emails with more information on our other presenters so stay tuned.

For more information, please see the Conference program here<http://catsweb.cuny.edu/Events/CAC2011/CAC2011.html>.

Best regards:

Carlos M. Herrera, Assistant Director.
Services for Students with Disabilities.
Queensborough Community College.
222-05 56th Ave, S-132 Bayside, NY 11364
718-631-6257 FAX: 718-281-5733
cherrera at qcc.cuny.edu
Project Manager,
CUNY Assistive Technology Services