[Athen] Daisy and docs and docx

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed Jun 22 15:23:38 PDT 2011

Hi EA,

> I have been trying to send up docs and docxs to
> Robobraille to convert to Daisy and each time I am
> getting back the error log saying it has failed.

Can you send me one of the documents (doc and docx) that you have been
trying to get converted?

> I have tried both tagged and untagged documents.

When you reference "tagged" and "untagged" documents, I immediately
think of PDF. What do you mean by tagged/untagged Word files?

> I have used the email service and the web page service
> - has anyone had similar problems?

I did have a problem with Word files not converting using the
Robobraille service, but that was because the Word file was not "valid"
in the sense that it contained inappropriate formatting. However, you
mentioned that you could get the same files converted using Pipeline, so
I am curious as to what may be causing the error message.

> Also is anyone using epub as an accessible format instead of
> daisy as there seem to be more of these conversion tools
> available with support on mobile devices?

We are in the process of building an online converter that will support
the conversion to ePub as we have a number of students who like to use
existing ePub readers on their mobile devices. Right now, ePub is a bit
more popular than DAISY around here, but I think that may be partially
due to what free readers are available on mobile platforms.

Robobraille now also supports the conversion to ePub - have you had any
success with the conversion to that format?

Take care,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology