[Athen] OCR for Handwriting Recognition

Shelley Haven ShelleyHaven at techpotential.net
Thu May 26 21:07:18 PDT 2011

Hi, Sean!

There's always the Ink (aka Inkwell) utility built into the Mac OS (see System Preferences), though I haven't had much practical luck with it. (Then again, my handwriting is atrocious. ;-)

The Modbook, by Axiotron (www.axiotron.com), is a MacBook retrofitted with a Wacom touchscreen to turn it into "the one and only Mac tablet" according to the company. They developed Quickscript handwriting recognition software to support tablet input, but it turns out you can also purchase it separately ($39):
http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=quickscript

I've used Quickscript with an older Wacom Graphire tablet and my MacBook and am very impressed with the results. It recognizes cursive, printing, and combinations, works with 26 different languages, and supports gesture recognition. It uses the same Vision Objects handwriting recognition engine as Livescribe's MyScript.

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for, but definitely worth considering (they have a 30-day free trial).

- Shelley

Shelley Haven ATP, RET
Assistive Technology Consultant
www.TechPotential.net