[Athen] LMS and general student support

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 30 12:50:10 PST 2011

Hi Michelle,

Like other people who have responded, OSU has enterprise licensing on R&W
Gold, which allows us to give out copies to students registered with our DS
office. We are also in the late stages of having it available on all of the
lab computers controlled by our CIO's office, including computers at our
main and science and engineering libraries. We still maintain a lab for
students, as well. Those machines have a number of AT, including Kurzweil
and R&W Gold. Most of our training in this area centers on R&W Gold, as
well.

- ken
OSU Web Accessibilty Center

On Tuesday, November 29, 2011, Henley, Elizabeth <E.Henley at snhu.edu> wrote:

> We have the unlimited license for Read and Write Gold (both Windows and

Mac), so we have that available for any student, staff, or faculty member
to be able to install on their own computers. Beyond the students
registered with the office, some ESL students and education students have
taken advantage of it. There's a lot more use than when we had software
installed just on campus computers too.

athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of Mitchell Stoddard

> Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 4:55 PM

> To: athen-list at u.washington.edu

> Subject: [Athen] LMS and general student support

> Hi Folks,

> I am looking to tap into your general knowledge and wisdom. We are in

the enviable position of having some discretionary funds that can be used
to address systemic barriers at our institution. We have been
contemplating purchasing some adaptive software to be installed on all
computers across the campus.

> We no longer have a dedicated assistive technology lab, as the

overwhelming majority of students have their own computers and software
provided via grants. We are also keenly aware that because the University
has a significant number of students who are first generation or
international, many have English as a second language. This contributes to
challenges with meeting both reading and writing requirements. As such, we
are contemplating purchasing software that might provide support not only
to our students with disabilities, but also this larger population who can
benefit from support.

> I was wondering if any of your institutions have purchased

reading/writing support software and made it available to all students? We
are contemplating a product such as Read and Write Gold, but would be
interested in your experience with this or any other product. I was also
wondering if any of you might have reservations about purchasing such a
product at this time (i.e., as many platforms are starting to include
learning supports - albeit in modest form).

> Warmest regards,

> M.

> Mitchell Stoddard, Ph.D., R. Psych.

> Director, Centre for Students with Disabilities

> Simon Fraser University

> 8888 University Drive (1250 MBC)

> Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6

> Phone: 778-782-3313

> Email: mitchell_stoddard at sfu.ca

> This electronic mail message and any accompanying attachments may contain

privileged, confidential or personal information intended only for the use
of the individual, entity or organization named or addressed above. Any
disclosure, distribution, dissemination, copying or action taken in
reliance on the contents of this communication by anyone other than the
intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you received this
communication in error please delete the email (from your incoming and
trash files) and notify the sender immediately by email or by telephone.
Thank you.

ken
--
Ken Petri
Program Director, OSU Web Accessibility Center
http://wac.osu.edu | petri.1 at osu.edu