[Athen] Recommendations for a magnification product to enlargethe board for a visually impaired Student

Jeffrey Dell jeffreydell99 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:33:15 PST 2012

Hi Peggy
The three that we use most frequently are the Onyx XL from Freedom
Scientific, the Magnilink Student from Low Vision International, and
the SenseView Duo from Hims. We also have an old Deskmate and PCMate
but the design is clunky. I have looked at the Acrobat. It is really
nice but the positioning is limited. With the Onyx XL you can raise
the height of the monitor and the monitor will tilt. The camera is
also very adjustable in its positioning and height.
For portable units that hook up to a laptop I have seen nothing yet
that matches the quality of the LVI Magnilink products. They also
work extremely well with ZoomText. My students that have used it love
the easy to use snapshot and video features of the unit.
I also have a student that loves the SenseView Duo. It is a handheld
unit that cost around $1000. It can take and store snapshots and
looks like the student is using a digital camera. It is incredibly
light and fairly simple to use. The students that I've had use it
don't want to move around the heavier and bulkier video magnifiers.
It has a 4" screen which isn't big enough for all students.
Jeff