[Athen] distance magnification aids

Linda Petty linda.petty at utoronto.ca
Wed Feb 8 07:16:37 PST 2012

Hi,
I cruised the ATIA exhibits last year looking at CCTVs, and then year we arranged for local vendors to bring in portable CCTVs, and viewed the offerings by Optelec, Ash, Reineke, Clarity, Acrobat, Enhanced Vision, etc.

Generally, our students are using laptops, and looking for something small and lightweight that can be stowed with the laptop, instead of the camera with a screen. I used to prefer the ClearNote by Optelec, but there are a few issues with that- have to train every USB port on the laptop to use the CCTV driver, or you lock up your system, etc. In the end we went with the Transformer, by Enhanced Vision. It is only 3 lb, very compact, and could work in most lecture hall environments. You still need to be able to sit at the front, to get clear line of vision, but with that you can generally get quite good images of the board or AV presentation,etc.
While the ZT idea of a videocamera is good, it doesn't help those who need reverse polarity, or false colours, as the video image would come in in real colour. I'd attach a transformer photo, but I doubt that the list serve software would allow attachments. The unit has also been quite handy as a document camera, to demo iPod/Pad aapps, etc. with video projection, or for signing confidential paperwork.
The Reineke (the German company- ?SP) is great- it can do video, display things from quite a distance, but it has a very heavy base to keep it stable, so not great from a portability perspective.

I also thot I'd cross post some tutorial info from GWMicro, on Window Eyes tutorials, in case anyone is interested, but doesnt' get these.
Take care!
Linda

Linda Petty, O.T. Reg. (ON)
Assistive Technology Consultant
AccessAbility Services
a division of Student Affairs

UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH
Science Wing, Room SW302G
1265 Military Trail, Toronto, Ontario  M1C 1A4
Direct Line: 416-208-5144
Tel/TTY (appointments): 416-287-7560
Fax: 416-287-7334
www.utsc.utoronto.ca/ability

Tomorrow is created here.
This electronic message and all contents contain information that may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. The information is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy the original message and all copies.

GW Micro Announces "How Do I Do That?" Series

Feb-6-2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Fort Wayne, Indiana (February 6, 2012) - GW Micro, Inc. (www.gwmicro.com) announced a new "How To" series of free video tutorials entitled "How Do I Do That?" These high quality tutorials are designed to be concise, informative and fully accessible to a blind or visually impaired computer user as all of the instructional content is available via audio.

To enable sighted trainers, teachers, friends, family, IT professionals, colleagues, and others to be able to better utilize Window-Eyes or to assist Window-Eyes users, the videos also contain special effects to help sighted individuals better understand how to interact with Window-Eyes as well as to visually highlight what the audio is describing on the computer screen. For example, when a hotkey combination is pressed, the video portion of the production will display the hotkey combination making it easier for sighted individuals to follow along with the tutorials.

The audio portion of How Do I Do That? is completely accessible to a blind user, and is designed to help a blind or visually impaired person easily follow along with each step of the tutorial. Typically, each How Do I Do That? production is less than ten minutes and typically focuses on one specific skill or concept. This free educational series will allow anyone who is interested to quickly find the skill they are interested in, and then learn about how to perform that skill by watching the step-by-step tutorial.

The How Do I Do That? series begins with the release of the first production, which demonstrates how to attach a file to an email in Outlook 2010 using Window-Eyes. Please stay tuned as more tutorials will be coming soon. The How Do I Do That? series of video tutorials can be accessed at http://www.gwmicro.com/Training/Tutorials/.

Contact:
Jeremy Curry, Director of Training
jeremy at gwmicro.com
(260) 489-3671