[Athen] math speak for MAC

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Wed Jan 18 15:40:09 PST 2012

Hi Karen,

More accessible than an HTML page would be a XML DTB document read with a
math capable DAISY reader, such as ReadHear. Though it's probably not ideal
for responding to questions, one thing ReadHear allows is annotated
bookmarks. So a student theoretically could read the test/document/book
using ReadHear and set bookmarks/notes for each question, using the note as
a place to respond to the question. The Save As Daisy plugin, when used in
Word with MathType installed, will output valid DAISY + MathML.

I'm not sure if this is any better than having an HTML form field as an
area for response, though.

As for screen reader capable math composition, I think most students at
higher levels will likely compose math in LaTeX. You might also look into
Chatty Infty ( http://www.inftyproject.org/en/software.html#ChattyInfty )

ken
--
Ken Petri
Program Director, OSU Web Accessibility Center
http://wac.osu.edu | petri.1 at osu.edu