[Athen] Dictation/Transcription question

Wink Harner winkharner at mesacc.edu
Thu Jan 26 11:11:12 PST 2012

Hi All,

A friend has asked my expertise on Dragon in the following circumstances.
I've already responded to that so my question to you all techies out
there:

Will either Windows 7 Speech Recognition or the Apple I-Speak be accurate
enough for a speaker at a meeting of Deaf & HoH to use as a substitute for
CART services?

Any of you who have knowledge of either of these options (aside from the
Dragon one), please respond today if possible and offer other suggestions
if neither of these are workable.

Thanks in advance for you knowledge & expertise.

Wink

Following is part of the request to me.

[.I am doing] an experiment with Windows 7 Speech Recognition in
preparation for a 3 part seminar/class series entitled "Living Confidently
with Hearing Loss" starting next week on February 2nd. It will be set up
with A/V support whereby we will have a PP projector to put up what is
printing out on the laptop or computer screen.

We have been providing CART at our monthly meetings and it is just simply
expensive and it will cost us over $300 to provide CART services for the 3
meetings. Someone in the committee yesterday shared with me the voice
recognition on his I-PAD and it worked pretty well, even with MY voice!!!
The captioning for the meetings, including the seminar series, do not have
to be as accurate as for college students with their courses but just to
help the participants be able to follow along with the discussion and
presentations.

My question and request for advice from you is this: Will this work for
our meetings and seminar series if we were to get Dragon NS with its
headset or will Windows 7 suffice? Is this even a feasible idea and one
that will work for meeting type uses from DNS or Windows 7 Speech
Recognition. If the DNS or Windows 7 Speech Recognition will work, it
will save me over $800 a year from not having to hire CART services for
our monthly meetings, let alone the special seminars that I will schedule
for this community just this year alone. If so, it will be worth getting
a new laptop (I have a basic one that is 6 years old) with Windows 7 to
use for my new career. All this came about because I was having trouble
arranging for a CART service provider for the seminar series and also when
the lead person for CART in Flag said that we can get one but with $200
per session which I think is simply ridiculously expensive.

I will go out and buy whatever you recommend if this is a workable idea
and if so, I need to do it this week.