[Athen] RE: Mediasite 6.0 Lecture Capture Accessibility

Greg Kraus greg_kraus at ncsu.edu
Mon Jul 23 07:27:19 PDT 2012

Hi Lisa,

Overall, I can say that SonicFoundry is working on accessibility and
does support it to a fair degree. I have given them feedback on some
of the newer versions of their player, notably their HTML5 based
player. It has been a few months since I gave them feedback, so I'm
not 100% sure of where they are right now. Here are some of the
highlights.

1. They use the "two-door" technique - one view for screen reader
users and one for everyone else. The screen reader view is very basic
and utilitarian and most other users would not want to use it unless
they had to for accessibility purposes. Even then, there are still
some usability issues with the interface. This is true for both their
HTML5-based and non-HTML5-based screen reader versions of their
player.

2. Their Silverlight-based player has numerous accessibility problems.

3. Their HTML5 player for non-screen reader users (the "standard"
view) also has some keyboard accessibility problems.

I have documented all of these errors for them and they have told me
they are working on them, but I have not heard anything back for a
while. I can check with our MediaSite people and my contact at
SonicFoundry to see if there are any updates.

Greg

--
Greg Kraus
University IT Accessibility Coordinator