[Athen] Canvas LMS vs. Blackboard

Wulf, Christina - wulfcx wulfcx at jmu.edu
Tue Jul 24 13:59:41 PDT 2012

Hi all -

I'm quite new to this list, so please let me know if this isn't the proper forum for this question.

My university is considering shifting to a new Learning Management System. The university has narrowed the choices down to sticking with Blackboard 9.1 (which we currently use) or moving to Instructure's Canvas LMS.

I've been asked to research and compare the accessibility of the two programs. I've found plenty of info online, especially about Blackboard, but would love to hear any first hand experiences--positive or negative--that users have encountered using either Blackboard or Canvas.

I'm particularly interested about how user-friendly the systems are for screen-readers users. A system may be technically accessible but not particularly easy to use.

Thanks so much for any help - if you have suggestions for other listservs or venues where I might get additional feedback, please let me know!

Many thanks,
Christina Wulf

Office of Disability Services
Accessible Media & Technology Assistant