[Athen] Re: Error in MathType 6.8 and Word 2010?

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 31 10:57:52 PDT 2012

> This behavior is by design, to combat the poor baseline alignment
> issue in the modern versions of Office. This prevents the shifting of
> text following an equation at the end of a line, for instance where
> you insert an equation, and the text that follows it will shift to
> subscript style.

Thanks for the follow-up Steve. I got word back from Design Science
support as well with the same registry edit.

Not exactly an ideal solution to edit the registry and I sent Design
Science a note about that issue as well. I completely understand the
"why" (and waiting for Microsoft to fix bugs can be an exercise in
patience), but this seems to be a rather "heavy-handed" alternative. I
made a suggestion to Design Science if they could include a switch in
MathType that could enable/disable the space after an equation. For
general users, I get the solution, but for those doing alternate format
creation such a solution is just not realistic.

For those who may have missed the fix, here is the registry change:
Set the regkey for "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Design
Science\DSMT6\WordCommands\NoSpaceAfterInline" to 1.

This will remove the extra space that MathType 6.8 automatically enters
when you insert an equation into a MS Word document.

Thanks again for your help Steve.

Take care,
Sean

--
Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology