[Athen] technology support for Arabic

E.A. Draffan ea at emptech.info
Tue May 1 15:16:05 PDT 2012

ClaroRead is available in Arabic
http://www.clarosoftware.com/latest_news.php?id=15 as is Clicker
http://www.cricksoft.com/uk/blog/2011-11-15/Clicker_in_the_Middle_East.aspx

We have been working with the Mada Center in Qatar and have been looking
into all things AT and Arabic. Our browser based bookmark ATbar is
available in Arabic for website reading, word prediction and spell checking
- www.atbar.org bottom of the page for the Arabic version. You can now
build your own toolbar in English and Arabic via the market place, if you
do not want all the standard features. Our blog charts the history of the
project http://access.ecs.soton.ac.uk/blog/atbar

We are hoping to improve our spell checker and spend time looking into an
open source TTS as many projects in this area have yet to be completed -
NVDA is having to use the Microsoft Arabic voices at the moment so is
dependent on that voice being installed on the computer. Tests seem to
show that Acapela voices are most comfortable but we know there is also a
Syrian Arabic TTS http://www.arabinlp.com/index.php?pageLang=en

It would be lovely to know if anyone else has found any helpful software we
can add to a pen drive for Arabic speakers. We have translated our pen
drive menu but now need some goodies!

http://access.ecs.soton.ac.uk/projects/access-tools

Many thanks.

Best wishes E.A.