[Athen] Fwd: Recent posts from "Making Math Accessible"

Laurie Vasquez Vasquez at sbcc.edu
Wed May 9 09:05:09 PDT 2012

FYI

>>> Making Math Accessible <accessiblemath at dessci.com> 5/9/2012 5:06 AM

Making Math Accessible

White house event: STEM Equality For Americans With Disabilities

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/MakingMathAccessible/~3/fUzFOgSra6k/white-house-event-stem-equality-for-americans-with-disabilities.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email

Steve Noble, Accessibility Research Consultant (Guest Writer)

It was a distinct privilege to be among the hundred-plus people in the

audience yesterday as the White House recognized fourteen people for
their
contributions toward advancing access to Science, Technology,
Engineering
and Mathematics (STEM) for people with disabilities. The event,
Champions
of Change: STEM Equality For Americans With Disabilities was the latest
in
the *Champions of Change* series which recognizes leaders in
various fields
across the county and brings them to the White House *to share their
ideas
to win the future.*

According to Kareem Dale, special assistant to President Barack Obama
for
disability policy, *The leaders we*ve selected as Champions of
Change are
proving that when the playing field is level, people with disabilities
can
excel in STEM, develop new products, create scientific inventions, open

successful businesses and contribute equally to the economic and
educational future of our country.* Mr. Dale, who is blind himself,
pointed
out the importance of providing an equal opportunity in the STEM fields
people with disabilities, and that *there*s nothing that we can*t
do as
people with disabilities when given that equal opportunity.*

I was delighted to see friends being honored whom I have known for
quite
some time--like George Kerscher of the DAISY Consortium and Virginia
Stern
of AAAS, as well as a number of younger people just starting their
careers
whom I had never met before. It was especially encouraging to see a
number
of successful graduate students with disabilities who are
distinguishing
themselves in the STEM fields, something which is certainly a testimony
Kareem Dale*s affirmation about the ability of people with
disabilities to
excel when given an equal opportunity.

I thought it would be fitting to add just a few special comments about
four
individuals recognized at the White House who have a special connection
making math accessible.

George Kerscher serves as Secretary General of the DAISY Consortium and

President of the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). George
and
I have worked together in the field for over two decades--since his
days
running what was then called Computerized Books for the Blind. Kareem
Dale
introduced George as *a legend in his own right*, and I couldn*t
agree
more. George brought our own Neil Soiffer on board to chair the MathML
in
DAISY Working Group, for which George was a member and key contributor.

Over the years, George has been instrumental in ensuring that
accessible
math is a component of digital document standards, like DAISY and EPUB
3.

During the event, John Boyer mentioned that as a deaf-blind student in
the
1940s he could not find enough STEM materials in braille to satisfy his

hunger for science, and that this experience led him to work on braille

translation systems which could better handle mathematics. John*s
previous
work on liblouis and his current BrailleBlaster translation technology
are
examples of open source products which include the capability to
translate
MathML into to various braille math codes. Design Science has been
involved
with John*s work and we*ll be using it as part of MathPlayer 3's
braille
support for refreshable braille displays.

Sina Birham, a blind graduate student at North Carolina State
University,
is an up and coming star and soon will be getting his PhD in computer

science. Sina is working with us on adding math expression navigation
to a
future version of MathPlayer.

Steve Jacobs, President of the IDEAL Group, is someone I have known for

years, having served together as co-presenters on sessions and members
of
committees. Steve has worked to spread the news about accessible math
and
his company has worked to produce a number of applications which help
make STEM content more accessible to people with disabilities.

Of course, these are just a few of the Champions honored by the White

House. We would like to enthusiastically congratulate all the
Champions,
and recognize their accomplishments in the STEM fields. The White House
is
certainly to be commended for its efforts at drawing attention to this

vital issue.

Steve Noble is a research consultant with a core focus in mathematics

accessibility and assistive technology. Currently he serves on
grant-funded research projects with both the University of Kentucky
and
Bridge Multimedia, and previously served as Director of Accessibility

Policy for Design Science.

--
You are subscribed to email updates from "Making Math Accessible."