[Athen] print disability

Lissner, Scott Lissner.2 at osu.edu
Thu May 10 18:52:01 PDT 2012

Julie,

Based on the information you provided I think Ron nailed it. If I were
working with the student I would likely want to flesh out my
understanding by asking them about their past experience with Alt.
Media. What formats/technology were they using; for what kinds of
materials, what aspects (content, format, ...) worked best and worst;

Next week (after noon edt on Monday) AHEAD will be releasing its take on
what you need to validate disability and accommodation requests; pull
that to share with the folks questioning your approach.

L. Scott Lissner, Ohio State University ADA Coordinator, Office Of
Diversity And Inclusion
Associate, John Glenn School of Public Affairs
Lecturer, Knowlton School of Architecture, Moritz College of Law &
Disability Studies

President Elect, Association on Higher Education And Disability

Chair, ADA-OHIO
Appointed, Ohio Governor's Council For People With Disabilities,
State HAVA Committee &

Columbus Advisory Council on Disability Issues

(614) 292-6207(v); (614) 688-8605(tty) (614) 688-3665(fax);
Http://ada.osu.edu <http://ada.osu.edu/>

291 W. Lane Ave
<http://www.osu.edu/map/building.php?area=northdorms&building=160> ,
Columbus, OH 43210-1266

REGISTRATION OPEN 2012 MULTIPLE PERSPECTIVES CONFERENCE
<http://ada.osu.edu/conferences/2012Conf/2012program.html>

I would also have most likely determined the student to be qualified.
It is not uncommon for the side effects of these meds to cause issues
with reading ability. It is just not the impact of the disability that
needs to be considered but the impact of the mitigation of the
disability as well.

Under the provisions of the ADAAA it would appear that she qualifies
based on prior history as well and the recommendation of competent
medical authority.

This is an example that I quite often use in my trainings, one of the
side effect of Bi-Polar medications is the text tends to swim around the
traditional page. I worked with one student that actually became
"seasick"

when they tried to use standard print while taking their meds.

Ron Stewart