[Athen] Scan to Readable PDF Question

Adam Lipkin alipkin at brandeis.edu
Fri Sep 21 14:31:04 PDT 2012

Hi, Dave --

There are some high-end commercial scanning stations (Scannx, Bookscan,
etc) that do, indeed, scan to PDF (or to .doc, .rtf, etc), and also can
email electronic copies of the files. The Public Services group of our
library installed some of these this fall, and they seem to work pretty
nicely as an institutional tool (noting that they're used less for access
than for the convenience of faculty and graduate students scanning
articles).

I'm not sure if there's something like this really scaled (or, more
accurately, priced) to the individual user, as most of the solutions I've
seen there have relied on the traditional bundle-with-OCR-software choice,
but given the general utility of them, perhaps he can make a case for an
institutional investment (I'm also not sure of the availability in Ghana,
of course)?

Best,

Adam

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Dave M. Thomas <
Dave.M.Thomas at studentlife.du.edu> wrote:

> Greetings!****

> ** **

> I have a friend who lives in Ghana. He has low vision and uses Zoom Text.

> He has asked me about scanners that scan text directly into readable PDFs.

> Does anybody know if this exists? Does Zoom Text have OCR built into its

> code?****

> ** **

> Thank you!****

> ** **

> Dave****

> ** **

> ** **

> Dave Thomas, M.A.,****

> Academic CounselorAcademic Counselor****

> Learning Effectiveness Program, University of Denver****

> Academic Resources****

> Katherine A. Ruffatto Hall, 4th Floor****

> 1999 E. Evans Ave., Room 424****

> Denver, CO 80208****

> Phone: 303-871-7758****

> Fax: 303-871-3939****

> E-mail: dave.m.thomas at du.edu****

> ** **

Adam Lipkin
Academic Applications Administrator
alipkin at brandeis.edu
781-736-4795
Brandeis University Library and Technology Services
Mailstop 017
Waltham, MA 02454