Re: [Athen] accessibility of InDesign for creating an ebook

ron at ahead.org ron at ahead.org
Thu Sep 27 11:29:11 PDT 2012

The best route to produce DAISY from InDesign is to produce it as a XHTML document which then can be brought into a compliant editor for editing and addition of alt text of the like. This functionality is fully supported in ID but therer are a couple of trick to getting a usable output.

There are artifacts from InDesign that will have to be removed from the document that are related to clean export of the document structure. I have a reference doc I am happy to share off line. Though it was created for ID 5.5 and things have changed a little bit.

The reason I perfer this method to a straight ePub export is that it provides a document that works with most AT, the majority of which do not support ePub3 currently

Ron Stewart