[Athen] manipulating math in DAISY books

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Thu Aug 1 15:19:38 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I have been creating several DAISY books (actually just chapters) containing MathML content and am running into an issue with how the math content is displayed in the DAISY player. Specifically, the math equations are being displayed right next to the following text content with no "space" between the two elements. There is no issue with reading, but the problem is with the visual presentation of the math equation and the text. Because the two elements do not appear to be separated by a space, the equation looks like it flows directly into the text itself.

I have checked the MS Word document and there is a space preceding and following the equation, so that's not a problem. When I view the dtbook.xml file in a Web browser, the spacing appears appropriate. Unfortunately, the issue appears when viewing the DAISY book from a DAISY player (specifically Read Hear PC).

I tried modifying the CSS file, but had no luck. Has anyone else encountered this issue and have a workaround for this?

I am creating my DAISY + Math documents using:
MS Word 2010
MathType 6.9
Save As DAISY (saving as DTBook.xml and then using DP 2)
DAISY Pipeline 2
MathDAISY 1.0

I am reading the resulting DAISY books using Read Hear Premium PC.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome. I have a sample document that I could share offline.

Take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology
Office of Accessible Education - Stanford University