[Athen] RE: Problems with JAWS reading a library ebook

Kathleen Cahill kcahill at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 3 12:30:35 PST 2013

KimBoo,

Is the book only readable in Adobe Digital Editions? Some PDFs won't read out loud in Acrobat Reader or in a browser. Many PDFs, especially ones from libraries, need to be downloaded and opened in ADE. To download ADE, go to http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/download.html . I ran into this problem recently. JAWS is supposed to work with ADE.

Good luck,
Kathy

From: athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu [mailto:athen-list-bounces at mailman1.u.washington.edu] On Behalf Of York, Kimberly
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2013 3:15 PM
To: athen-list at u.washington.edu
Subject: [Athen] Problems with JAWS reading a library ebook

A professor has told his class to use the ebook copy of the textbook available via our library system from EBSCO Host Full Text database, so while it is a required text they are not required to buy it (honestly I foresee this becoming more common). We have a blind student taking this course who uses JAWS, and would obviously prefer not buying the book if he doesn't have to. However neither he nor I can get JAWS to read the embedded PDF that EBSCO Host uses. I've futzed with settings in JAWS and read the help faq for EBSCO which claims that their viewer is accessible but, eh, not so much in my humble opinion.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Solutions? Suggestions? Am I overlooking something obvious?

:::KimBoo York, MLIS

Assistive Technology Lab Coordinator
Student Disability Resource Center / Department of Dean of Students
Florida State University
108 Student Services Building
874 Traditions Way
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4167