[Athen] Requesting Assistance with PDF Document

Sean J Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 5 15:18:21 PST 2013

Hi Patrick,

I have seen this occur in some PDF documents that originally started as
MS Word documents. For some reason, the bullets from the automatic
numbering are interpreted as "nmlkj" in the text layer of the PDF
document. In nearly all cases, I was dealing with an untagged PDF
document (as far as I can remember).

Karen has the best recommendation of marking those symbols as Artifacts
in the PDF document. The other option would be to start from MS Word
again and export out a tagged PDF version. That *should* remedy the
problem.

What I used to do is make the conversion from PDF to MS Word and then do
a search/replace to remove the "nmlkj" and replace that with an asterisk.

Take care,
Sean