[Athen] software for AltFormats students

Normajean.Brand normajean.brand at hccs.edu
Tue Feb 26 11:45:56 PST 2013

We use WYNN (Freedom Scientific) and Kurzweil 3000 both for our students on campus. Because we are a commuter community college we do not offer either of these software programs off-campus. However, I often send students to this link:
http://mits.cenmi.org/Resources/MITSFreedomStick.aspx

The MITS Freedom Stick is a portable, use-anywhere accessibility solution. Install this software package on any 4gb USB Flash Drive (full) or 2gb USB Flash Drive (lite) and you create a set of tools for your students that they can carry in their pockets which will make any Windows computer highly accessible.

The Freedom Stick contains a fully accessible version of the Firefox web browser, the full Open Office suite (comparable to Microsoft Office), the Balabolka Text-To-Speech system, an on-screen calculator which allows students to paste their math work into homework or test documents, a "mind mapper" (similar to Inspiration), the Audacity audio recorder/player, and many, many more supports.

Hope someone finds this useful!

NJ

NJ Brand, ATAC
Houston Community College-Northwest