[Athen] UDL Question

Patrick Burke burke at ucla.edu
Thu Jan 3 14:32:19 PST 2013

>Hi & Happy New Year ATHENians!...

We have an online course (on game theory) that we are evaluating for
accessibility.

One of the exercises is to have students identify the emotion of a
face (image-only). Adding alt text would be simple enough, though
adding it without giving the game away might be tricky...

It seems to me the real problem goes beyond technical accessibility
into Universal-Design-for-Learning territory. So the question is: Is
there a common UDL practice for handling this type of question? Is
there an accepted nonvisual equivalent to this task (identifying
features of a face image)? Is there a sensory-neutral form of this task?

Thanks much for any ideas,
Patrick

--
Patrick J. Burke