[Athen] RE: ALEKS

Ken Petri petri.1 at osu.edu
Sat Mar 16 14:00:39 PDT 2013

Hi Catherine,

For clarification, there is/was interest in ALEKS at OSU but I have never
met with them to discuss it.

As for the MathML not supported in browsers argument, I don't find that
valid. With MathJax I just don't think you can argue that MathML can't be
rendered. You can argue it can't be read in many screen reader/browser
combinations, and you'd be correct, but MathJax will render math visually
in all browsers that have JavaScript enabled -- which means pretty much all
browsers can render MathML, with some assistance from MathJax.

And if you're using MathPlayer in IE, all of the major Windows screen
readers will read the MathML pretty effectively. If the system were
producing both the rendered MathML and a LaTex fall-back, seems to me most
situations would be covered. (It is possible to get MathJax to show the TeX
version of equations and it can "hint" the MathML islands with TeX
equations, but I'm not sure how well this will work with a screen reader).
Oh, and MathPlayer does not seem to work at all in IE 10. So, some
problems, but not enough to "wait" until there is better browser support,
IMO.

ken

[image: The Ohio State University]
Ken Petri, Program Director
Web Accessibility Center, ADA Coordinator's Office and Office for
Disability Services
102D Pomerene Hall | 1760 Neil Ave. Columbus, OH 43210
614-292-1760 Office | 614-218-1499 Mobile | 614-292-4190 Fax
petri.1 at osu.edu wac.osu.edu