[Athen] WCAG2 for e-texts

Jennifer Sutton jsuttondc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 15:22:13 PDT 2013

Dear Greg and other Athenites:

I'm not sure I entirely understand your question. I see nothing but
strengths regarding the idea of considering ebooks in light of WCAG
2. That being said, I see the term "etext" being used on this list
to mean all kinds of electronic content. So perhaps I should clarify
that I'd be thinking of ePub, DAISY content, and even, yes, PDF. I
imagine there are portions of WCAG 2 that also apply to Word documents.

Since I believe that the DAISY consortium, the IDPF, and the W3C seek
to foster standards harmonization, I think all three seek to take
each others' needs into account.

Since I recently posted many links on this subject to the WebAIM
list, I'll repost them all below my name, in case the collection may
prove helpful to those on this list, too. At the top of the list,
I'll add a few more related to PDF.

Best,
Jennifer

PDF Techniques | Techniques for WCAG 2.0
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20-TECHS/pdf.html

The official PDF/UA Technical Implementation Guide is here!
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2rUuvX/duff-johnson.com/2013/03/05/the-pdfua-technical-implementation-guide-arriveth/

A new tool that I just saw, but I don't know anything about:
pdfGoHTML: PDF Reflow Done Right | Duff Johnson Strategy and Communications
<http://duff-johnson.com/2013/01/21/pdfgohtml-pdf-reflow-done-right/>http://duff-johnson.com/2013/01/21/pdfgohtml-pdf-reflow-done-right/

A link to the Web AIM thread, in which there are six posts. Two of
them are mine, below:
http://webaim.org/discussion/mail_thread?thread=5765

*** WebAIM Post 1:

>Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 20:29:32 -0800

>To: WebAIM Discussion List <webaim-forum at list.webaim.org>

>Subject: Re: [WebAIM] Q: accessibility for ebooks, epubs, kindles, etc.

>Greetings, WebAIM:

>I spent about 15 minutes with Google in order to pull together the

>following resource set about EPub 3. It's less "Benetech-centric"

>than what has been posted so far. I'm a fan of standards, not a

>specific organizational approach, so that's where I always start.

>I hope many will find this collection useful.

>Links are below my name. Numbering is for tracking, rather than to

>denote prioritization.

>If I've missed anything, I hope others will contribute.

>Jennifer

>1. Book by Matt Garrish from O'Reilly Media:

>http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025283.do

>2. Visit the site of the International Digital Publishing Forum

>(IDPF) which is the standards-making body for ePub:

>http://www.idpf.org

>3. Forums on the IDPF site:

>http://idpf.org/forums

>4. EPUB 3 Accessibility Guidelines

>http://idpf.org/accessibility/guidelines/

>5. EPub Check, for validation:

>http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/

>6. A recent thread on the Access Technology in Higher Education

>email list about accessible ePub production:

>http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail/athen-list/2013-February/007170.html

>7. Creating accessible eBooks - RNIB:

>http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals/solutionsforbusiness/publishing/publishertechnical/ebooksaccessible/Pages/accessible_ebook_creation.aspx

>Shortened:

>http://bit.ly/12zfaPG

>8. Content on SlideShare, related to the DAISY Consortium and some

>is ePub3, as well:

>http://www.slideshare.net/daisyconsortium

*** WebAIM post 2: