[Athen] LaTeX to PDF

Sean Keegan skeegan at stanford.edu
Wed May 1 16:15:45 PDT 2013

> gh LLC claims their Premium version of ReadHear will read (speak) epub documents with MathML in them.

> Does anyone have experience supporting students with the ReadHear product?

I have not tried using ReadHear for ePub files as this was listed as a "Soon" feature on my Mac version. On the ReadHear website, it does list ePub as a supported format for the Windows version, but there are no comments about support for MathML in ePub.

For DAISY books, I have had mixed results with the playback of MathML content on the Mac version. When it works, it works really well and is very responsive. Unfortunately, I have several DAISY books that I have created with the DAISY pipeline where the application crashes on start-up. This is a known issue and is to be fixed in a future version, but no timeline has been set.

I would like to be able to offer the ReadHear application to students, but we are very Mac-centric at my institution and the crashing issue is not something that my students will tolerate.

Take care,
Sean

Sean Keegan
Associate Director, Assistive Technology
Office of Accessible Education - Stanford University