[Athen] ALEKS

Karen Sorensen karen.sorensen at pcc.edu
Wed May 29 16:27:05 PDT 2013

Hi Abbie,
We have been asking for a VPAT on ALEKS. We are told it is forthcoming. I
did some cursory checks and found it not to be screen reader accessible,
but it seems to be partially keyboard accessible. They do have a letter
dated 9/25/13 on the accessibility work they are doing. Still, a VPAT would
be much more helpful.
I'd be interested in the list of issues you have compiled. Would you share
that?
Check out WebWorks. It's an open source, online math homework application
that is accessible. Math faculty at our college are working to build the
math problems in WebWorks so it would work as an equally effective and
accessible option to ALEKS and other publisher sites. Because honestly, I
don't know if they will ever be able to make it screen reader accessible.
Thanks,
Karen

Karen M. Sorensen
Accessibility Advocate for Online Courses
www.pcc.edu/access
Portland Community College