[Athen] Logo as a background image?

Dan Comden danc at uw.edu
Thu Nov 7 14:29:47 PST 2013

Hello,
Your rule of thumb sounds correct.

Generally I think background images of any kind are going to cause
problems, for the reason you noted (not read by screenreaders) but also
because of almost inevitable contrast problems with the text that's
overlaid. Greg Kraus' cool new contrast checker plugin for Chrome can tell
you if it's a problem but it's easier just to avoid the issue if possible.

See WCAG Failure criteria:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20130905/F83
and
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/F3.html

Important images shouldn't be in the background.

-*- Dan

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:53 AM, N Dogbo <ndogbo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Athenites expert on web accessibility,

> I please need your opinion / help here--

> What do you think about company logo as a background image? Is this a

> good practice? Is it or should it even be allowed? Even if an alt text

> can be assigned to it, a person using a screen reader only sees an out

> of context text with no target since background image is not picked up

> by screen readers, resulting in a very bad / poor user experience. My

> rule of thumb is-- if one feels the need to alt-text an image then

> that image should not be a background image, especially company logo.

> What do you all think and or recommend? Is there something in WCAG2.0

> that sort of addresses that?

> Thanks so much in advance for your help addressing my concern.

> N Dogbo

-*- Dan Comden danc at uw.edu <danc at washington.edu>
Access Technology Center www.uw.edu/itconnect/accessibility/atl/
University of Washington UW Information Technology